Welcome to Rachel's Blog!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Race Spectrum...

Yesterday, we did an activity where we had to categorize different balls. Even though I think I have done this activity before, it was still very difficult. I chose to categorize by size, but it was hard to differentiate between small and medium or medium and large. It was difficult to draw the line somewhere. By categorizing the balls, we stereotyped them, like we also do for races. I clumped together all of the large balls, even if they had other differences like color, shape or use. This activity made me realize that all the people in the world don't fit into strict categories of races. It is more of a spectrum. For example, there can be someone who is half "white" and half "black", so they don't fit into the "white" category, or the "black" one. We also learned that race isn't biological, it's social. Race isn't something you are born into, it's something that society uses to categorize or group human beings. These groupings allow society to put certain characteristics with certain races, causing stereotypes, when the characteristic doesn't fit the mold of the race. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to break down these social constructions of race, but in the future, I will try to stereotype less by race.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean by it being really hard to break stereotypes, because we don't go out and try to put people into boxes. But its something we do anyway because of society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is hard to break down the social construction of race, because it has been apart of our society for so long, that it is being done subconsciously. The more they integrated this in our schools, the more awareness they would raise which whole help to an extent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's more to race than the fact that you were born into one. We classify different races, but really the races we categorize may not be what they seem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with having a hard time on deciding which ball went to what category because there are some that could go either way. It's so hard to break out of our stereotypical groupings, like you and Ariel mentioned, but it's definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete