Welcome to Rachel's Blog!
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Deviance & Drugs...
Today in class, we did an activity classifying drugs. We had to decide if they should be over the counter, prescription, a felony or a worse crime. But, we didn't know what the drugs were. The interesting thing was that I classified alcohol as a felony because of its affects on people even though alcohol is legal to adults ages 21 and over. We later discussed how drugs and drug laws are relative. For example, some drugs can result in trouble with the law while other are readily available at drugstores even though a lot of the drugs have similar effects and tolerance. Also, many times, it depends on the person who is being convicted of drug abuse. If upper middle class white people are caught with drugs, they are more likely to be able to pay for bail and receive sympathy from police. On the other hand, blacks in poorer areas are less likely to have money to pay for bail and are more likely to be treated very horribly. This relativity of drugs and drug laws mirrors the relativity of deviance. If an upper middle class white person is being "deviant" according to society, they might not be judged as quickly or as bad as a poorer minority. Money is also a big factor in deviance. People with more money are more likely to be able to avoid deviance or get out of it. I hope that in the future, these judgmental views of people and social deviance can be avoided or at least seen fairly among all types of people. Now that I realize this, I will try to do that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that what we talked about with drugs can be related to Saints and Roughnecks. People think drugs aren't a big problem among the middle class or upper class but it still is. It's just easier for them to get away with it.
ReplyDeleteI did the same thing! I thought alcohol was a felony and because of the effects, I still think it should be. I agree with Bex that drugs are definitely a big problem in our society today. We had a coroner come in to talk to our teachers about our school's alum who are dying from heroin abuse. Money should not be a reason why people get away with this kind of drug abuse.
ReplyDeleteI agree that what we discussed about drugs directly parallels social deviance. Its amazing how often it comes down to money and which social class you are in. That is something that is often uncontrollable, yet it effects you so much not just with society but with the law. I think posting bond, and having your own lawyer should not so heavily depend on what area you live in or how much money you make. Laws are meant to be equal for everyone, however there are many loopholes.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it was weird how we classified alcohol as the worst drug when it's actually legal. It just shows that the justice system doesn't always work out as perfectly as we may all think.
ReplyDelete