Welcome to Rachel's Blog!
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
American Teenagers "Rolelessness"
Yesterday in class, we discussed milestones in a person's life. Many of them reflected certain ages and the privileges that come along with it making it a special point in life. Then we went on to talk about how in America, kids and teens are expected to be dependent, irresponsible and submissive. But, when we become a certain age, somewhere around 18 to 25, we are expected to be the exact opposite -- independent, responsible, and dominant. We receive very little or no guidance and help to make this change. I never realized this before. When I live at home, and even when I will be a college, I will not pay bills or manage accounts and money that much. But, when I finish my education and begin my career and life, I am supposed to be a leader and manage my own money and life. This creates a problem in American society. How are kids supposed to learn how to live on their own when their whole life prior to it didn't involve them even learning or practicing how to live on their own? There are some ways that kids learn things for their future, like consumer education classes at school, but these aren't mandatory, and they don't always work. The article we read talked about parent-teen conflicts and how some of them are caused from a difference in age of when the parents think the teen should shift to be responsible and independent, and when the teens think that age is. The problem is that there is no age where this should happen. It's very confusing to teens. I can relate because I sometimes am expected to drive myself places and motivate myself in school, but I still have to live at home under my parents rules, and my parents still pay for most of my major expenses, so it's hard for me to feel independent. Now that I realize all this, I hope I can be more independent and responsible and dominant in my life, to better prepare myself for my future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I never really thought about it either. And it's kind of scay, knowing that next year I will be in college as my own person and then in 5-6 years be on my own having to pay for everything and do everything on my own! I will also try to do things a lot more independently after hearing all of the things that Sal has sad.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine what it's going to be like paying my own bills and balancing my own money. Even teens that have jobs and make their own money really don't experience that until much later. That's what makes the transition to adulthood so difficult.
ReplyDelete