Welcome to Rachel's Blog!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tuesdays with Morrie...

The movie, Tuesdays with Morrie is a very sad and moving movie that relates to culture a lot. Throughout the movie, many aspects of American culture were prevalent. Mitch's actions and Morrie's wisdom showed this. Three of the aspects go together well. Morrie talks a lot about love, death and dependency. Americans tend to fear these things because of the influence of American culture. The norm is to be embarrassed by dependency because American's value independence. The norm is also to fear death and love because it takes the control away from you and puts it in someone else's hands or puts it in "God's hands". I can relate to this because when my Grandma died, my family was fearful of what would happen next. I think we should try to live more in the present and not the future or the past. Independence and control are valued highly to Americans. This explains why Americans may be embarrassed by or fear dependency, love and death. This connects to the fourth aspect of American culture in the movie. Mitch is a workaholic at the beginning of the movie, and he mirrors many other Americans who are like this. Americans value achievement and success, almost too much sometimes. I think that some people who are too success oriented need to take a step back and think about why they value success so much. Sometimes, it can take away from their life too much, like Mitch. He almost lost the love of his life, Janine, to his work. I think people who are like this need to revaluate their values and priorities.

4 comments:

  1. Morrie has a great quote in the movie, "Throw down your books- you've got nothing to lose but your grades!" which I think really fits your post. If we look more at why we do things, then we can better see that often we spend too much time worrying and focusing on the non-important ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree- many Americans work so much, sacrifice the important things and life and still aren't happy! Like Mitch. He was very successful at work, but most of the time he seemed stressed out and unhappy but he still took additional jobs. If you think about, this makes no sense. I'm not saying being successful is a bad thing, but you shouldn't sacrifice the good things in life like the people you love to acheive it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that we should try to live more in the present. People are too focused on the future and play the "what if" game. They work all the time just so they can save up tons of money for the future when they don't even know what the future will hold. People end up taking the most important things in life for granted just because they are driven by power and money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your argument that people should live in the present instead of the future. It is so hard to picture life in the future, and people should be more focused living in the moment.

    ReplyDelete