Welcome to Rachel's Blog!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Social Construction of gender = school shootings?

The Kimmel reading that we read was surprisingly interesting. I was expected it to be about what I've heard over and over again --  that kids who shoot are black, from inner city schools, from messed up families, and influenced from violence in the media. But I was wrong. I made a generalization. The reading talked about how all of the recent shooters were seemingly normal, white boys from suburban areas, and middle to upper-middle class homes. This shocked me. I always thought something like this would never happen to me, but now, I realize that even though it's still not likely that it will, it still could happen. The idea of a school shooting is scary and concerning. Why is this happening? The reading examined this problem and said the boys who shoot are "gay-baited". They are bullied and teased because they aren't masculine enough for society. The media influences society a lot. TV shows, commercials, movies, toys and so much more create an image of what men should be like. They are supposed to be strong, muscular, tough and like fighting. In reality, this idea is crazy. Sure, there are boys who are like that, but there are many who aren't. And that is perfectly okay. But the problem is that men who aren't like this think they need to change who they are to be like the stereotypical man. This is a problem for men and women because the media influences everyone. Now that I am aware and understand that I and everyone around me is influenced, I will try to be more like myself and not what the media says I should be like.

5 comments:

  1. yeah it really shocked me too! I didn't want to believe it because it's scary that this could easily happen in our school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I didn't think that the school shooters would be white males from middle to upper class! It's sad that they had to go to such an extreme measure just to try and prove a point that they are masculine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with a lot of this! I think a big difference with our school is that it has so many places for people to fit in, so people have other ways to define themselves by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the same thing! It was weird to see that all the shooters were the exact people the majority of our school is filled with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Surprisingly?! Aren't all of my readings interesting? ;-)

    ReplyDelete