Welcome to Rachel's Blog!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Bronx Tale...

Even though I haven't finished watching the movie in class, I can already see the sociological forces and ideas present in the movie, A Bronx Tale. I think that the largest and most obvious one is the groups that Collogero belongs to. He has his friends, his family, his heritage/race and Sonny. Sonny represents his idol or the person that he looks up to. I think his master status would be a mix of his family and race. The Italian way of life governs how he lives. His parents, mostly his father, controls Collogero by telling him what to do. Those values that his parents have are those similar to many other Italians. He is known as Italian wherever he goes. The second prevalent sociological idea is the sociological imagination. As we have progressed through this semester, I have been able to see more of a sociologist's perspective. I can now see that there are larger forces acting on Collogero's life. His problems as a boy in his neighborhood represent problems that are universal and exist in many other neighborhoods. They are caused by racism, which is caused by differences in humans. By seeing and understanding these larger forces that play into Collogero's life, I can comprehend the idea of sociological imagination. The next idea is the social construction of reality. This also has to do a bit with racism. The "unwritten laws" in the neighborhood come from social status, which comes from race. I think this construction came from the racism. The last sociological idea is the macro and micro dynamics of sociology. The macro dynamics is the idea of the mobsters as a group in general. Collogero always watches them from afar and observes them. He doesn't have a one-on-one conversation with them, he just interacts with them from a group stage, in general. The micro dynamics of sociology are the one-on-one or face to face interaction Collogero has with Sonny. When they make eye contact or even exchange a few words, this the the micro sociological forces that shape who Collogero is and how he acts. Overall, this movie shows the sociological ideas of groups, sociological imagination, social construction of reality and micro and macro dynamics very well through these ways.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you that his groups consist of his friends, his family, his heritage and Sonny. I also agree that his family is his Master Status, but I also think that Sonny is too because Sonny has shaped who Calogero has become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you said about Collogero belonging to multiple groups, but I think his response to racism is different from that of the groups he belongs to. While everybody in his groups(with the exception of Sonny)are blatantly racist, Collogero is not. He stands up for African Americans when his friends insult them. He even begins a relationship with an African American girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the mobsters are macro dynamic because Collogero does watch them from afar and doesn't actually part take in their fights. He also does not talk to anyone else in the group except Sunny. Maybe if he did talk to the people in the mob he would understand why they do what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how the mob totally changed C's life. I think he bit off more than he could chew when he "did a good thing for a bad person." Jane will probably teach him a lesson and indirectly let him know that he is hanging with the wrong crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great explanation. I hope you are also seeing these forces in your own life too!

    ReplyDelete