Welcome to Rachel's Blog!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Freaks and Geeks...

The pilot episode of the TV series Freaks and Geeks was very interesting. It was funny and relatable because it took place in high school and the characters were similar to typical teenagers. It was really cool for me to see that something so relatable to my life could demonstrate sociology so well. First of all, the groups in the school are so common in high school, so they are easily understood by teenagers like me. The geeks or the smart kids are functional in that they provide a refuge for each other if they don't fit in with their other peers. The group on the smoking patio is also functional because they can relate to each other if they maybe can't relate to their other peers. But, this group also has a dysfunction by pressuring Lindsay to smoke even though she knows it's wrong. The sociology of the group dynamics is easily understood by teenagers through these high school groups. I can relate because I would wear a certain style of clothes or do my hair a certain way to fit in with my peers in school. This group dynamic is dysfunctional because I might not necessarily express myself correctly. The second sociology idea is the conflict theory. The conflict is between who has power and who doesn't. In the show, Lindsay's counselor and parents have the power. They are only trying to make sure she leads a healthy lifestyle. Her parents have the power because they provide a home and food for her and her counselor holds punishment over her. But, when Lindsay doesn't agree with them, conflict arises. I can also relate to this because I don't always agree with my parents, but I have to follow their orders because they provide a home, food and clothes for me. But, I accept their orders and control over me because I know that they are only trying to help me. Lastly, there is symbolic interaction. The big symbol in the show is Lindsay's army jacket. Everyone notices that she is wearing it, even her brother. It represents her self expression and her rebellion. It also shows that she is questioning who she is as a person. I personally don't question myself and rebel through my clothes, but I know many people who do. I express myself through my independence and self confidence. Overall, these three perspectives are three different ways to have a sociological imagination.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, I agree with what you said. I think the many different groups at the high school provided a sort of refuge for those who didn't fit in very well. Within their groups, the students found a comfort zone which made high school a more enjoyable experience for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's weird to see sociology in everyday t.v shows. I disagree with my parents sometimes too, but I know that they ultimately have "power" over me and they do provide the things I need. It is clear that many people at school try to show rebellion but I never really realized that until now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with your idea of her jacket. It doesn't fit because when she shows kindness to Elliot, both times she is wearing her jacket that's not very rebellious. Allow me to present my idea, in the first episode we learn she began wearing the jacket after her grandmother's passing. We see that this affects her emotional stability, she seems to be dealing with depression. She was previously making an effort to be kind and achieve but seems lost with the fact that to her grandmother "in the end it didn't matter", it didn't make a difference, we all end up in the same place whether we're nice or assholes. The only time she can be seen not wearing her jacket is in the final scene, at the dance. When she lets go for a minute and is fully present in the moment. She has a huge, genuine smile on her face and laughing as she sheds her jacket. Additionally, it's a military coat; representing her internal emotional conflict. Therefore, the jacket represents her battle with depression.

    ReplyDelete